Life in Thailand is BUSY, but in such a strange way! Instead of being caught up in schedules- fretting about being on time, working hard, or getting good grades, I am instead caught up in the "relaxed, easy-going" lifestyle. This may sound easy, however, this lifestyle is in fact quite difficult to adjust to. Thing still must get done, the standard is still high... but the way in which tasks are executed are , in my American eyes, very unorganized. This is a cultural aspect of Thailand that I just have to get used to. I am working very hard at it.
Other than that, my daily schedule starts with me waking up every morning at 6am sharp to the sound of dogs barking. I then sleep for 45 more minutes, shower, change into my uniform, and get picked up by my host father at 7.30. We drive about 20 minutes, get breakfast (usually consisting of coffee, eggs, noodles, etc...) then I am dropped off at school at 8:15. The morning school ceremony technically started around 7.30, so I am always late. Sometimes I can sneak past the guards and wander around the ground until the morning ceremony is over, but most of the time I am forced to sit on the concrete with the "bad kids" who are late.
I then spend the next few hours messing around at Thai school. Being on time is optional when it comes to classes. A lot of the time teachers don't show up so we just have free hours to do whatever we want to do (eat). Every day I exchange Thai money to get coupons for food. There are roughly 30 booths full of different types of food and drink. I usually buy tasty noodle-soup. I love anything spicy! There are also some interesting milk teas here, I'm starting to get used to the flavor. Lunch usually costs 1USD. After school I usually go out to eat with my school friends, or hang out somewhere. We usually chill together until anywhere from 6-9 and when my host mother or father will take me home. I go home, shower, and usually my head is so tired from all the Thai that I go to sleep! THAT IS MY DAY!
So now that you know a little bit about my "routine" here. I will quickly fill you in on some events that have happened since I have been here. Firstly, on the 22nd of August I traveled with the other exchange students from my town to the town of Korat. We stayed there 3 nights and attended an orientation for all of the inbound students. While there, we were able to meet a bunch of students from ALL OVER the world. Everyone is very nice... but I'm bummed that there are no German students. I DID get to speak french with the french/canadian students though :). The orientation was as a whole, pretty confusing. I was like a lost puppy and ended up feeling more confused at the end than I did when I came. I hadn't received any information pertaining to the orientation in advance so I felt very unprepared and unorganized. This is an aspect of Thailand that I am trying very hard to adjust to. I'm very laid back and chill when it comes to the affairs of other people, but when it comes to my own life I have very high standards. I do not like to be out of the loop or feel unorganized. I am trying very hard to just go with the flow! Despite the "disorienting" orientation I really am excited to get to know all of the students. It is strange having a whole new group of exchange student after being so close to my district in Germany... but exchange students are exchange students- GOTTA LOVE 'EM! Every each one is so unique. We have all left our lives for different reason and together make up the most diverse/eclectic/unique group of individuals that somehow share so much in common.
Other than that, I have not been traveling or doing anything too crazy. My host mom travels to Bangkok every week or so... Just yesterday my aunt from Bangkok showed up at my doorstep and told me my host mom sent her to keep me company. I asked her how long she would be staying and she answered, "how ever long she wants me to." Very strange relationship they have indeed.
In other news, today I spoke in Thai in front of 5,000 students. I introduced myself and talked about what I like in Thailand. It was pretty exciting. It was unreal to have a sea of students with black hair and the same school uniforms all STARING at me and cheering me on after every sentence I uttered- Great experience that I will never forget... seriously who can say that they have done that!
Well, I am pretty sick of typing. I am quite tired and probably should be in class right now. I hope everyone is doing well and I love you all very much!
Updates to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment