Welcome to Benjamin Mau's - GAP YEAR - travel blog!
For all of you who don't know me personally or from my first exchange blog, Ben's Rotary Youth Exchange, (http://benjaminmau.blogspot.com), my name is Benjamin Mau, and I am a senior in Madison, WI, USA. I have always had a strong interest in foreign language and travel, so during my Junior year I went abroad to Berlin, Germany! Germany was a fantastic experience- I met so many great people, experienced so many amazing things, and learned a truly unique language.
My exchange year to Germany was an extremely trying experience. Though it was full of some of the funnest moments of my life, it was very rough at times to be away from my family, friends, and American culture. I cried more than I ever had in my entire life, I was pushed harder than I ever have, but it paid off because I learned SO MANY invaluable life lessons!
6 months ago I returned home from my year abroad and felt like a changed man. I now see the world through new eyes, and enjoy every minute for what it is worth! As the months went by I felt compelled to go abroad again... but I had no idea where! I really wanted to challenge myself in all ways possible, so I applied again to be a yo-yo with Rotary Youth Exchange! I was accepted and found that due to my age I could only go to either Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Thailand, India, Malaysia, or Indonesia. I knew absolutely nothing about these countries so I felt very excited about the challenge to come.
Last Sunday my rotary youth exchange officer called me and announced that I would NOT be going to South America (as I had anticipated because my top three countries were South America), but rather- THAILAND! I was completely floored!!! I never imagined that I would get placed in ASIA! Despite my shock I was incredibly excited, and now find myself scrambling to start learning the Thai language.
This blog is unique in that I know absolutely NOTHING about Thailand, or Asia for that matter. In Germany I fit in with everyone else... I looked, spoke, and walked like a German- however, Thailand is a different story. This time, I have to learn a language based off of Sanskrit, I have to adapt to a culture my ancestors are nowhere near from, and adjust to a completely new climate (it was -20 degrees in Madison yesterday)! This year is going to be TOUGH- but I am ready for a challenge.
So- all you friends, family, and travelers FOLLOW ME in my adventure to becoming Thai! This blog will be comprised of my thoughts, experiences, and encounters before, during, and after my gap year in Thailand. It will be quite an adventure... get READY!
Hey My name is Chantel Ouellet,I live in Canada and I am also going on a Rotary Exchange to Thailand next year! I actually came across your blog while looking for some blogs on what to expect in thailand because, I too, know nothing about it. I would love to keep in touch, talk about how your preparing for your exchange and all that fun stuff. So feel free to email me at Chantellegabrielle@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteand maybe ill see you in thailand :)