Monday, June 13, 2011

GRADUATE

I just spent about an hour typing up a lengthy recap on the past 2 months, and of course- blogger simply deletes EVERYTHING right as I click the “post” button. Fantastic! I will try to my greatest ability to remember everything I wrote- this is a drag… I will attempt to write with the same detail I did with the first post.

After 4 long years of proving my intellect (or ability to excel at the education game rather) I have finally GRADUATED! It was a challenging process, (I took that upon myself, however, having personally enrolled myself in rigorous courses) however it was worth it, seeing that I was accepted into my dream school, Macalester College (St. Paul), where I will be attending in Fall of 2012.

I have not been able to take the time to sit down and write due to the numerous hours spent organizing my future. I have been so busy with finalizing everything at school and earning money at work for next year! Though I have been on my feet NONSTOP for what seems like ages, I am proud to say that I achieved my goal of earning $2000 from February to present, and managed to maintain my GPA, (despite my horrid infliction of senioritis) graduating with high honors!

So now, onto Thailand! In May my district had their annual conference in my home town, and all of the exchange students gathered to gain a greater insight to how Rotary works. During this time, I was inspired, yet again, to try to convince my parents to host an exchange student (there have always been obstacles hindering our family from hosting). This year, a rotary club in the area is receiving a student from Thailand, therefore, I thought it to be a golden opportunity for my family to experience a bit of what I will be experiencing while I am undergoing my cultural and language study in Thailand. My family graciously agreed, and I shortly thereafter emailed the student to inform her that she would be staying with us. She quickly emailed me back, ecstatic, and casually mentioned that a Benjamin from America was going to be living in her town and attending her school. I thought nothing of it. The next day, I receive another message from her and she informs me that the Benjamin from America is ME! WHAT A COINCIDENCE! I have never heard of a true “exchange” such as this occurring though Rotary Youth Exchange! I feel as if it was meant to be! I also feel very reassured how different my first exchange is from my second exchange… and I have not even left the country yet.

A few weeks ago I received my Guarantee Forms, and it was confirmed that I will be living with Mr. and Mrs. Thanapornsin in Ubon, Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand! From the information I received, it appears as though my host mom owns a resort and spa, and my host dad is a sales manager for a car dealership. I also have a host brother, however he will be partaking in an exchange year of his own in Florida next year, and it is still unclear whether or not I will have the opportunity to meet him.

All of you reading this probably have never heard of the town Ubon. Nor had I prior to receiving word that I would be living there next year. Therefore, I have compiled a bit of information (with the help of www.weloveubon.com) to give you a better idea of where I will be living next year.

Overview of Ubon

Ubon is the easternmost povince in Thailand- the first to view the sunrise. It is one of 17 provinces that make up the Northeastern Isaan Region of thailand. The people in this region are the grassroots of the country, and is known for its Isaan style food which is spicy by even Thai standards.

Ubon offers Thailand and its culture to all who want a break from the beaches and tourist towns. Ubon and the northeast are said to be the real Thailand, covered by agricultural pursuits, rice fields, and forests.

The city I am living in, Muang Ubon, is a mid-sized city but the population is ever expanding. Many people are coming in from the county to find jobs or operate a small business there. The student population might be the largest growth sector. The town has 2 universities, several colleges, a number of technical schools and primary and high schools. The people, culture, language and cuisine are mostly Isaan, however one does find groups of ethnic Chinese and Vietnamese, as well as a small but growing population of western expats and Japanese.

Ubon Ratchathani has the highest per capita density of Thai Buddhist Temples in all of Thailand. In town there seems to be a temple every few blocks. If you are traveling to the outlaying districts you will see at least one temple for every clump of houses you pass.

The religious dedication and number of temples made Ubon Ratchathani the logical place to hold the biggest and best Candle Festival which is to celebrate and recognize the beginning of Buddhist Lent. The famous Ubon festival is held each year on the full moon in July.

Well, that is all the information I am capable of mustering at the moment. It is absolutely beautiful outside and I really can’t stand to sit and type on a computer for any longer. I will be sure to post more detailed information in the coming weeks… but quickly before I go, here’s a quick overview of what my summer is looking like:

- My host brother Constantine from Germany is coming to visit on the 28th

- Bidding the current inbounds of my district adieu at the final Central States Conference in Grand Rapids, MI (and hopefully learn a lot about Thailand from rebounds)

- Week-long vacation tradition to Hayward, WI with my beloved family (minus Drew, Jane, and Carter L)

-My brother’s wedding (kind of not really)

-Departure to Thailand sometime from August 7th- 14th

-Working every day in between!

This will be quite a summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment